Pages

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Day 6: Soshanguve (Block W)

650AM

The nights are fun. We get back to Kwa Kerus feeling punchy. The ladies proceed immediately to preparing dinner. I shuffle around awkwardly trying to be helpful. Jarred lies down on the couch and demands that Alyssa tell him a story, which she actually does. I play guitar. Robb strikes up intellectual conversations. David films everything.

Dinner is always lively banter and storytelling. We debrief the day. Afterwards, the ladies set about preparing for the next day's activities with the kids, and we practice for the rally.

805AM

All of the different tribes here are descended from the Zulu. The Zulu are dancers. I've had several conversations with people who want to explain to me why they dance. It's as if they're self conscious or they worry we think them strange.

The best explanation I got was from Pastor Albert. He said that, according to Zulu tradition, any Zulu person may approach the king. He named the holy city where the king, a divine figure, resides, but I can't recall it. Anyway, when you go to that place you must begin dancing in worship while you are still far off. This proves to the king that you are a child of Zulu. When he is satisfied, he will send his servants to fetch you to him.

Albert says this is how they view their dancing now that they have been found by Jesus. They always begin their church gatherings with song and dancing. I've been wondering why the songs here are such simple forms. That's why. Because the singing is only to allow for the dancing.

The point he was making is that in order to gain influence with people you must understand them. He has a wealth of experience with white missionaries coming to him to teach his people. Mostly they make no effort to learn the ways of the Zulu. They teach the way that they were taught and it falls on deaf ears.

Jesus was cross-cultural. He once travelled out of his way to visit a woman in Samaria and spoke right into her cultural situation, even though he, himself, was a Jew. He was able to gain influence because he understood her.

This is the way we are to teach; by first understanding.

130PM

To give an honest picture of my personal experience here I have to admit how inadequate I feel. I know this is not about me and that's what's so frustrating. I cant escape my insecurity. I want to be useful and clever and charming but I think god just wants me to be here.

We spent the morning with the grannies. These are older ladies who have lost adult children, mostly to AIDS, and are now raising their grandchildren, or the children of family members. The grief and hardship that these women face every day is just unimaginable to me. What am I doing here? What help can a white foreigner possibly offer in this situation? One lady told me about how she lost her husband, her daughter and her son. She said she has only Jesus to turn to.

It made me angry. It made me think of this line I heard once that was written in a letter by a medic in world war 2.

"Dear God, please come and save us. Come yourself. Don't send Jesus. This is no place for children."

3PM

As I've processed what I heard this morning from the grannies, I find one thread:

"Please pray. This is hard."

I'd like to pass that message on to you. Seriously, contact me. I can get you names if you'd like. Prayer is no joke for these people. For some, it's all they have. When they thank us for being here with them, which is often, it's because they believe, with all their being, that our prayers will somehow make it hurt less. Think about that when you tell someone "I'll be praying for you."

530PM

We visited one of the orphan center caregivers at his home today. He's on bed rest recovering from surgery. We walked through the township to get there, which was cool. His name is Soli. I'm sure that's short for something. He plays piano. Thulani says he's pretty good. Maybe we'll jam with him someday.

8PM

Andrew Brightenburg arrived today. He fit into our misfit group right away. We had a little miscommunication about his schedule today so we may be scrambling a bit tomorrow but we have the paint and the painter so we're gonna go make it happen. Welcome, Andrew. Sorry we couldn't have a beer to celebrate, but my suitcase is full of partially crushed goldfish.

1115PM

Story time was epic tonight. Hanging out at the house is really like medicine after some of these days. I'm thankful for Marcia and Jennie, who couldn't be here with us, for letting us make their house our home for the week. We are taking good care of it, though the occasional pillow has been thrown when the situation warranted.

1 comment:

  1. I'd love to get the name of someone to pray for. And I'm worried that now people at Grace who shouldn't be dancing on Sunday morning will think they should. I blame you for that. And I'm praying for you.

    ReplyDelete