Pages

Saturday, July 21, 2012

Day 1: Johannesburg and Pretoria

10AM

I'm in the back of a car being driven by a man named Bob. Bob is from Colorodo where they drive on the left side of the road, and incidentally the left side of the car. They don't do that here and this is causing Bob and me distress. Still, Bob is doing remarkably well under the circumstances.

Sitting next to him is Willem. You pronounce that 'Villem' because, hey, why not? Willem is speaking afrikaans on the phone. It sounds Dutch but he says it's closer to Flemish.

11AM

People live in constant fear here. The intense and nearby poverty generates alot of crime, mostly violent. Willem is pointing out neighbors houses, as we stand in his driveway, and telling us about the break-ins. It's pretty awful. His house is surrounded by a 12ft wall topped with electric wire and has multiple perimeter alarms.

130PM

A trip to the local pick-and-pay confirms a suspicion that arose when I packed Andrews care package from his folks: no goldfish.

340PM

We're staying at a guest house operated by a slightly crazy afrikaner family. They host childrens' parties here. Out my window I see children taking pony rides and chickens running around.

420PM

Kwa Kerus (the place of Kerus) is really nice but i have no internet connection. Bob gave me this thing called "magic jack". Magic Jack is a dongle that you plug into a usb port. Its supposed to connect you to the internet. It failed and asked me if I wanted to launch "magic fix". Magic Fix is a website...on the internet.

My jet lag is like the jet lag of a thousand suns. Else I'd have realized earlier that magic jack has an rj-10 port on it. Oh.

2 comments:

  1. this post had me laughing out loud. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who would have guessed that you would go on a mission trip to a 'pony country.' Who'd want to leave a pony country for a non-pony country.

    ReplyDelete